Sunday, November 21, 2021

Carpenter Family - Clinton Shipman Carpenter

This is a 1899 letter from an unknown writer to - I believe - Clinton Shipman Carpenter. "Uncle Clint" was the son of Louisa Wildermuth Carpenter and Dryden Henderson Carpenter. I am transcribing this letter as it is reading and not correcting for spelling and punctuation! This letter reads as:

By                     No. Page      1     

  Dear Clinton I received your kind letter letter late last might and I must Say I was more than glad for we all began to think you was not going to write to us any more. and was trying to forget us. you son you wrote Ethel soon after you got there now She has never got a [?] from you I don't see whatever become of it for she hasn't been away from home a whole day Since you went away and we have not and we have had over mail regular. I worried for along time for fear someting had happend to you. then Neew Years day Dan & Chi was here & Mother asked her whether She had heard from Clint& she sayd why yes she had a letter right away when you got there & she told all about what you was doing and a week ago last Sun she came over in the afternoon with Dan on an Erand & she took particular pains to tell in my hearing that she got another letter from Clint the Friday before and you must own that it would have made you feel bad to have been in our plate under the Same circumstances but I never let  any one  circumstances. but I never let any one know how I felt about it and I just beg an to try and feel reconciled to our lot

when I got your letter & pictures and I must own I was pleased to get them I think their are just five. we are all well only colds. Jot has been as we all have been trying to grind feed. had quite a lot Some days. now he just finished today rigging up to Saw wood down there too there with the engine. they will try it tomorrow Merrit has been Sick had one of his spells. fell over backward in their Shanty & they sent for Jot & they carried him in the house sent for the Dr. and he injected stuff in his arm.& he come to consciouseness. he was sick over a week. So Ethel & I had to help grind but Tues he was back again. well we got some Threshing accts. Jennings and Mr Starkeys & Ethel went out all day yes & got three dollars of Horrace Newkirks. we paid [Him] and the day the interest was due we went to the Center [Richland] - paid it and then next day Hall came over and we paid him $5.00 and the next Mon. he come buy & we paid him the rest and we have got enough now to pay all of the Cunninghans act. [?] will pay what he used on that we sold our hogs. only got $14.62 for them. they found fault with that Sharky hog and docked us 80 lbs on him they woth weight 510 we g 3.40 per hundred. they didn't brin enough to pay our taxes they were higher [?] Enough to pay our taxes they were higher this year than ever before$17.28.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do not know if there is more to this letter or not. I have not found anything else in my stack of stuff that would lead me to believe that a 2nd page exists or not.

Addendum:[I do not know where the name "Shipman" comes from. At this moment I cannot find the name in one of my primary sources entitled "Johann David Wildermuth and His Descendants 1752 - 1964", written by Ruth Kline Lee, 1965. There is a digitalized copy of this book in the Salt Lake Genealogy Library . You can access this book online at FamilySearch.org. You do not need to be a member of the LDS Church. You do need to belong to FamilySearch.org. This is free of charge. No one will contact you to donate or join the church.] 

©All rights reserved by Pathways in Genealogy. 2018 - 2022. No part of this website/blog may be reproduced without the express written permission from the owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment