Sunday, December 19, 2021

Fisher Family - Lydia Fisher - Deposition - page 4

 suppose when he said he would fix the matter he had in mind putting in another name. I knew of no divorce on the part of Heburn at any time. I told Mr. Millay of my marriage to Heburn and that I didn't want to marry him, Mally, because I did not think it would be legal; but I knew if Heburn ever made any trouble about it, that Millay and him would settle it for I trusted Millay. If the Justice who married us called the name, or called me Coleman, I didn't hear it, and I knew nothing whatever about the name Coleman being in the certificate until the day after. We staid the nigh of our marriage with Susan Gilman, Mr. Mallay's sister, and did not come home until the next day, and it was after I got back home that I first noticed the name. I was just going to put it in a frame and when I saw the name I didn't want to frame it. Thae Justice knew Mr. Mallay but didn't know me. There were no witnesses to the marriage. I had no reason to believe, before I married Millay, that I was free from the bond with Bebrun, and so far as I knew, I was still Hebrun's wife. James Millay had been previously married twice. He had two set of children, but none by me. I think he was about 60 years of age when we were married. I think he was born in New York somewhere, and came to Leland about the time of the gold excitement in Calif. His brother and sister, Robert and Sarah, came through in an emigrant wagon, and did not get further than Leland.

Mr. Millay made his home in that place until after we were married. Millay married his first wife in Princeton Illinois. I don't know when that was or what was her name. They had two children. I've hear Millay say his first wife died in Princeton, and in giving birth to their second child. Her people lived in Princeton, but I don't know if James and his wife every lived there. He next married Harriet Hart, who lived with her father about one mile from here.

Her father's name was William. They were divorced in Ottawa. They had eight children. They were divorced quite a while before I knew him. I know nothing about his first wives, but I've heard him say that neither of them were married prior to their marriage to Mallay. I think Arthur Dale of Leland will know about Mr. Millay's prior marriages. I don't know who else would know, except Robert Millay who now lives at Odell, or did some years ago. Mr. Millay and I lived together about 3 years. My father then went to Kansas and the rest of us, my husband and mother and myself expected to go also, and I went ahead of the rest, as my health was not good. Mr. Millay and my mother were coming later, but father had trouble collecting his wages and while we were trying to get that matter arranged, I got a letter saying mother was sick. My sister Mrs. Wm. Morrill, of this place wrote the letter. I came back here and Mr. Millay had gone before I got home and no one knew where he went. Mother said she had not seen him for some time. It don't seem to me now that it was more than a month until I got a letter from someone in Kansas saying that he was dead and asking what they should do. I wrote them to sell his stuff and pay his funeral expenses and send the rest, if any was left, to me. I knew he had a team and tools and supposed he had driven through to Kansas. Father and I had been in Coffee Co., Kan., but it was not from there I got the letter, nor do I now know from what place the letter was written. Julia Day, of DeKalb, is a daughter of Mr. Millay, and I think she knows about Mr. Millay, but she said she would not tell for less than $25.00. Only one child lived with myself and Mr. Millay, a boy about 12 years of age. And he went away with his father.

4

©All rights reserved by Pathways in Genealogy. 2018 - 2029. No part of this website/blog may be reproduced without the express written permission from the owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment