Sunday, December 19, 2021

Fisher Family - Lydia Fisher - Deposition - page 5

 My father had been working Kansas sometime before I went down, and mother was anxious to hear from him as he had not written is one reason I went ahead. Mr. Millay was at home with my mother when I went away. We had never had any trouble of any account. He used to drink some and was too silly when full, but we did not have any quarrels. We never talked of separating and he was a gold old man. When I started for Kansas I expected nothing other than that he and mother would come to Kansas where we were. I did not hear a word from Millay while I was in Kansas and knew mothing about him after I started there until I heard from Kansas that he was dead. I always supposed he intended trying to find me. Julia Day is the only one of Mr. Millays children that I know anything about. My mother didn't know when he went or where.

After I came back here I worked around at different things, and finally went to Plano and did dressmaking and staid there until I became acquainted with Mr. Luke A. Aldrich. He was living at Plan with his sister Marcia Swift. Aldrich said he was fifty-one when we were married I think Jan 15 1882. We were married right in this house. Mr. Aldrich had been married twice before.

His first wife was Sarah -, I can't think of her last name. I now think it was Sarah Holden. She died somewhere in Iowa, I think in Clinton, but I can't be sure. I don't know where they were married, but I believe in Indiana somewhere.

I do not think Aldrich's first wife, had a prior marriage. He had two boys by his first wife, Homer and James D. I don't know where these boys are, but they were at one time in Canada. Since thinking of the matter, I think Aldrich's first wife was named Holdridge. Mr. Aldrich next married myself.\

Q - Did you not tell me he had been married twice before he married you?

A - No, No, not Aldrich. Millay had been but I did not mean to tell you that Aldrich had. I don't hear well and misunderstood you. Mrs. Swift will know about Aldrich's prior marriage and his wife's death.

I knew Heburn was dead when I married Mr. Aldrich as I had had the letter from Mr. King of Wichita Kan. about a Nancy Heburn's claim for pension. I heard from Mr. King only once, and enclosed with the letter was a paper for me to sign fill out; and some people told me that I was entitled to the pension as Heburn's widow, but I knew I was soon to be married to Mr. Aldrich, and thought as this Nancy had children she ought to have the pension. Since thinking of the matter it might have been before my last marriage I got the letter and made the affidavit.

Q - I now show you an affidavit and ask you if that is your signature and if you made the affidavit?

A - Yes, that is my signature and I made that affidavit. I now remember that I was then married to Mr. Wheeler. It says in that that Hebrun was dead when I married Wheeler, but I didn't know anything about his death until I got that paper and the letter with it.

Mr. Aldrich and I lived together about 5 years as nearly as I remember. One of his boys was seven and the other nine when we were married. We lived with my father and mother in this house. Mr. Aldrich had no trade and worked by day's work. We got along pretty well until awhile before he went away. He insisted on having my mother's life insured, and we had a

5

©All rights reserved by Pathways in Genealogy. 2018 - 2029. No part of this website/blog may be reproduced without the express written permission from the owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment