Sunday, December 19, 2021

Fisher Family - Lydia Fisher - Deposition - page 3

 enough money picking hops, as it was hop season, to take me back home to Sandwich. It was after I had left Heburn that I went to picking hops, and during that time I staid with my mother who then lived about one mile from there. I have never seen Heburn since I left him in Wis. I don't know what year I left him, but we lived together 2 or 3 years I believe it was, I got a letter from a woman in Kilburn City, or rather my mother did, saying that Heburn was married to another woman; and she said in the letter that the woman he then had could lick him just as hard as he had licked me and give him just as bloody a nose as he gave me. The name of the woman who wrote the letter was Mrs. Marb Webber. They called him Marb, but what his right name was I don't know. O did not hear another ting of Heburn until I got a letter from a Mr. King at Wichita Kan. Saying that a Nancy Heburn was trying to a pension and wanted my affidavit. King said Heburn was dead that was the first I knew anything about him after the Webber woman wrote to my mother. I never applied for a divorce from him. I never heard or had notice of Heburn applying for a divorce.

I came directly to Sandwich from Wisconsin, and have lived right here in the house in which I now liveed ever since. My mother was then staying in Wisconsin nursing and my father was her; and when my mother got through nursing she came here to. After I came back I worked out by the week until mother came back and then we got this house which had been rented, but in which I had a bed.

SOmetime after I got back from Wis., as much as two or three years, James Mallay came here to help my mother straighten up some trouble over a carpet, my mother being a weaver. Mallay was a stonemason and a kind of a lawyer. The first I saw him was when he cane here. Mallay lived the second station west from here at Leland. A year or so after I first saw Mallay he wanted me to marry him, but I didn't want to as we was quite an old man; but he seemed to take a liking to me and he was a good old man so I married him. I don't know the date I married him, but it was summer, and we were married in Ottawa. I had never heard at that time that Heburn was dead or divorced.

Q - How did it happen that you married Mallay not know whether Heburn was dead or divorced:

A - That was one reason why I held back and didn't want to marry Millay and I told him all about my prior marriage and that I didn't know what had become of Heburn. I knew I had no legal right to marry, but Millay said He could fix that matter all right.

Q - How did he say he would fix it:

A - He didn't say. He said we would go to get married where I wasn't know and it would be all right, and that is the reason we went to Ottawa. We dove there with a horse and buggy.

Q - Under what name was you married to James Millay?

A - We, I didn't see the certificate until after our marriage, and when he showed it to me it had the name "Coleman" on it. I said to him "Why did you do that," and he said it's all right and "I got the woman I wanted," and he said he had the name Coleman put in to cover up any trace of the former marriage, and so that Heburn couldn't make us any trouble, and that no one would know about it. I

3

©All rights reserved by Pathways in Genealogy. 2018 - 2029. No part of this website/blog may be reproduced without the express written permission from the owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment