Sunday, December 19, 2021

Fisher Family - Lydia Fisher - Deposition - Page 1

 Lydia A. Adrich Deposition 22 January 1907

I am 63 years of age; and my post office address and residence is Sandwich, Illinois. Occupation housekeeper. I am the claimant in this case and claim renewal of pension as the remarried widow of  Duncan McDonald, who served in Co. D. of the 27th Reg. Ill. Col. Inf. And who was killed at the Battle of Bull Run, in June 1865, claim being made under the act of March 3 1901. I formerly drew a pension as Mr. McDonald's widow. I was married to Duncan McDonald I think in March 11, 1864 and he was killed the next June. Yes, it was in June 1864 that he was killed instead of 1865. I was born in Williston Vt., and lived there until we moved to this place, in May 1858, and this has been my home ever since, except that I lived in Wisconsin about 3 years with John Hebron, my then husband. I was never married prior to my marriage to Mc. McDonald. McDonald enlisted from Shabbona Ill, I believe, and that was his home. He was an orphan and he was raised by a man named Madison, and I think he had lived in Shabbona for quite a while. When we came from Vermont in 1858, went first to Big Rock, then to Shabbona and then to this town. I got acquainted with Mr. McDonald in Shabbona and when he came home on a furlough in Feb 1864, we were married. McDonald had not been previously I married. Just after our marriage, he bought a little home for me here and my father, mother, and myself moved into it before he returned to the army. He did not quite finish paying for it, and I paid the balance after I got my pension. I lived in the house until I married John Hebron who was also a soldier. I can't remember the date I married Hebron, but I believe it was in March, and about a year or so after I married McDonald; and I don't know why I married Hebron, but it just seemed that the men would have me and I let them marry me. Heburn was boarding at a hotel run by Mrs. Horace Wilder, and my mother cooked there and in that way I became acquainted with Heburn. I can't tell how long I had been acquanited with with him before I married him. I did not know him until after my husband, McDonald's death. Heburn was more than 30 years old when we were married, but I don't know how old he was. Heburn's parents lived in Boone Co. N.Y. I know he used to write letters home and I did the writing for him. I can't remember the town in Boone County where he lived. I don't know his parent's names, but he had a brother Harvey who lived in Boone County. I never heard him speak of any other relatives. Harvey was a soldier but I don't know his service. They met accidently at one time in the army.

Heburn was in the 58th Ill. Infantry, but I don't know when he came to this part of the country.

Heburn had been married before he married me, and he had a little girl. He told me there were married before the war and that his wife died leaving the one child, that he was all broke up and went to the Army. I haven't the slightest idea when or where they were married, nor do I know what his wife's name was, either given name or maiden name. His wife had one sister who was married, I don't know her name and two lived in Iowa somewhere; and the little girl lived there with her. The first name was Julia. She must have been about 8 years old when we were married. I never heard him say that he had been married more than once, and I never heard him say that his wife had more than one marriage. I think Heburn's first wife died in Iowa, and that it was near where her sister lived. The only name I can think of in Iowa that I recall in connection their residence is Vinton or Clinton Co.

1

©All rights reserved by Pathways in Genealogy. 2018 - 2029. No part of this website/blog may be reproduced without the express written permission from the owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment