Sunday, December 19, 2021

Fisher Family - Lydia Fisher - Deposition - page 6

good deal of trouble as I didn't want to do it. Finally he said his sister Mrs. Swift would pay the assessments and I consented, but she wanted to keep the policy and she and I and Mr. Aldrich had a good deal of trouble and I finally burned the policy. I don't remember the year that Mr. Aldrich went away but it was in the fall. He went to his brothers in Breckenridge Mich.

The excuse he made to me was that I was sick so much that he couldn't take care of me. I had told him that if he didn't stop abusing me he could leave and I would go home, as we then lived in another house. He drank but wasn't bad only at times. We had not quarrel at the time he left, and I allowed him so sell a new carpet to get money to go with. He took the boys with him, and they understood that I was going to follow them to Michigan; but it was not understood between myself and Aldrich that I was to go. Between ourselves we understood that it was to be a final separation and I told him if we couldn't live in peace we better live separate. I got several letters from him that the boys wrote for him as he couldn't write and I now show them to you. In them he begs me to come and live with them. He sent me money to come once, but I took it to pay for the carpet. I told them I thought I would go, but changed my mind. About the last of 1886 the correspondence stopped and I never heard anything more about him, until I wrote once to a Postmaster to inquire if he knew where Aldrich was. I had been asked by the Pension office to find out about his service and wrote to the P.M. for that.

About the last of 1886 the correspondence stopped and I never heard anything more about him, until I wrote once to the Postmaster to inquire if he knew where Aldrich was. I had been asked by the Pension office to find out about his service and wrote to the P.M. for that reason. The Postmaster at Sugar Grove Mich. wrote that Aldrich was married and living in Canada. His nephew in Breckinridge John Aldrich, wrote me to write to Sugar Grove I got only one better that old anything about them.

Mr. Stinson, of this city, wrote the letter. Yes, I think it was Sugar Grove that he wrote the P.M. I sent the letter to the Pension office.

Q - I now show you a letter written by C.L. Stinson to the Postmaster at Ludington, mich, endorsed on which is the following: "Mr. Luke A. Aldrich gest a pension and his present address is Olds, Alberta Co M.W. Ter. Wm G Hudson, P.M.

Q-  I ask you if that is the letter just referred to by you?

A - Yes sir, I think it is. I got only the one letter conveying any information relative to Mr. Aldrich. I must have been mistaken in thinking the Post Master said Mr. Aldrich was married again, but I got the impression somewhere that he and the boys were in Canada and they were all married. I don't know where I heard it if not from the Post Master. I never heard that Mr. Aldrich got a divorce of that he was dead, except that this summer someone said they heard he was dead. He never told me he was going to get a divorce, and I never was with notice. After Mr. Aldrich left I lived right here. About 3 or 4 years after Mr. Aldrich left, I married Barney K. Wheeler. married him March 11, 1890/ He lived in Marshalltown Iowa, and his little girl lived with my sister. No relation. I knew Wheeler12 or 13 year before I married him. His mother lived at Yorkville Ill. He had been married only once prior to our marriage that I know of I can't remember his first wife's maiden name except that it was Mary. I think Wheeler came from M.Y. gut I don't know where. His father and mother are dead. I think he has a sister named Julia Robinson in Aurora. Her husband is a railroad man named Tom. He also has a sister in Joliet, Ill. I don't know her name. He also has a sister in Yorkville, Ann Shummer, her husband's name Charles. He married his first wife in Yorkville Ill. She died in Clinton Iowa. I don't know when he was first married. I think his wife died at 28 or 30 years ago. He brought his two children to his mother and the youngest

©All rights reserved by Pathways in Genealogy. 2018 - 2023. No part of this website/blog may be reproduced without the express written permission from the owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment